The Art of Animaling: everybody loves kung fu fighting!

Monday, May 14, 2007

everybody loves kung fu fighting!

Just have to show you this cutie pie.


Hallo, I am Joseph the kung fu mastah. These are my toudai. Janelle, stop hugging your diapers.

Let me show you some of my moves. Hiak!

I roll...

...and I tumble.

Then finish off with a karate chop...fuh hak!

Ending with this calming pose. Woosa~

Geez my toudai suck. Give me a round of applause will ya?


Grr, I don't want him to grow up! I want him to stay 2 years old and remain all of his adorable and cuddly self. I will always remember him as the boy who loves joop and horridge :)



psst bee...you recognize the moves? :D

***

a happy mother's day to all moms out there.



And to the two moms at home :)


Mom and PorPor cutting the cake. Jamoca Almond Fudge ice-cream cake from Baskin Robbins. I'm not allowed to show any other photos because...

Ma: I'm not wearing any make up
Me: Don't care laaaaaaa
Ma: I'm wearing my pajamas
Me: Haiyaaaaaaaaaaa *snaps picture anyway*
Ma: Later delete ar!
Me: -_-

Where did she learn to be so vain. Psshh.

***

a bak chang story~~~

I visited my godparents today. Bought a cake for me godma, but forgot to take a photo of it though! Fruit cake from Berry's Cake house, new flavour. The kiwis and strawberries are so freaking SOUR. Should have listened to my instincts and gotten the golden cheesecake instead. My godma made bak chang today and we became her guinea pigs. She usually makes nyonya style and this is her first time wrapping "ham yook chung". The broth wasn't salty enough.

She asked me whether it was salty enough. My aunt asked whether it was salty at all.

Before I tarnish her reputation any further, I have to say that this was her first attempt and all bak changs aside, she is a FANTABULOUS cook. She is incredibly good at nyonya food especially otak-otak and her pai tee is superb and her assam laksa ohmygod shit I better stop. Most of the people on my dad's side are superb cooks, even my cousin once opened a nyonya restaurant and my other aunt makes fabulous roast chicken and turkey. Now, where did MY cooking genes go to? >:( Burnt cookies and raw potato bake got la -_-

So I learnt how to eat "ham yook chung" with sugar today. Apparently, my late paternal grandparents always had bak chang with a teaspoon of sugar. It tasted good! Then we decided that we shall find a free day soon to learn the art of wrapping bak changs from the grandmaster of bak chang making that is my PorPor.

Speaking of which, this brings me back to my first attempt at wrapping bak chang. Eventhough I've been watching my PorPor wrap bak changs since I was old enough to walk and talk, it is no simple feat I tell you. FREAKING SUSAH OK. You have to know how to choose the leaves; cannot too big, cannot too small, cannot too slim, cannot too wide, cannot too short, cannot too long. Wei! Finding a good husband also easier la! Cis.

Even before you wrap, you have to prepare all the ingredients. The reason why my granny's bak changs are the bestestestestest in the world and I love her so much for it is because the ingredients are top quality and GENEROUS. Every bite contains one or two of the seven ingredients she puts in. Velvety soft mushrooms...sweet fung lut...mmm....ok, I'm getting distracted. Anyway, the ingredients are washed and fried the night before - my granny fries ALL the ingredients, to encourage the aroma, something you never get with bak changs elsewhere - the leaves have to be soaked and cleaned.

Then the wrapping begins. You have to choose the right combination of leaves to make a cone. It must be deep enough to squash all the ingredients and not leave any gaps where the filling will come out. You must also leave enough length to wrap the whole thing at the end. Mine was so badly done that when she took them out of the pot, only the string was left :( She had to fish the leaves out and all the filling was floating around in the broth *cries* To comfort me, my granny taught me another style of wrapping where the end product looks like a pillow. Much easier to wrap but...so unsatisfying T_T

Apparently you have to be strong and deft at wrapping bak changs. Hmph.

I hope at this next attempt I will not have to resort to making pillow bak changs again. Having to make pillow bak chang instead of the cone type really spells N-O-O-B in capital letters.

Argh can't wait to eat those bak changs again! The legacy of her bak changs are such that my cousin's school bus driver from 20 years ago can remember the taste of it phwoar. Sadly, she's getting really old and all the hard work tires her out. She even fell sick the last time she made bak chang few years back :( which is why she will be passing the recipe down to my godma and me. My mom malas to learn because my granny's instructions with everything is: agak-agak la.

Susah nyer.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's like the catch phrase of all these grandmasters.. My mom also.. everytime ask for recipe sure kena "agak-agak la". I can agak I won't ask ady =.=" Charbor!! sweet and sour fish!!!

9:42 AM 

Post a Comment

<< Home