The Art of Animaling: i am officially a slave

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

i am officially a slave

So, I started work on Tuesday. Here's the full report as requested by Hui Ling.

First day. I was a sakai and arrived 10 minutes earlier than scheduled. I went up, called the HR lady and waited for my briefing. Filled in forms, signed a lot of things I was forced to speed-read, then the lady went on to brief us (me and an accounts girl). After all that yadida, she took us on a tour all over the office and introduced us to other sakai people who go to work early. Not many people around; I guess there aren't that many sakais there. My boss doesn't even come in until 11am -_-

So, after introducing us to the pantry, the cafe and the toilets, she leaves the accounts girl at the admin floor and throws me back up at the editorial floor. My dear friend who kindly gave me a ride also kindly sakai with me that day; she was the only one sitting at the property desk almost all morning. Since my editor was out, her assistant settled me in. She had me placed at the financial daily for my training. Then I sat there until my bum ached, reading newspapers while waiting for the I.T. leng chai korkor to set up my computer for me. Then I sat some more until the other editor came in. Then I sat even more until he was free to talk to me. I feel so bad because I kebas some graphic designer's desk since the daily news desk was full.

Then. I spent the whole day. The entire freaking day. Reading. Newspaper. The Sun. The Star. The Edge. All the business news I can find online. OMG SO BORING OK. I kept falling asleep. The point was for me to get an idea of business news reporting and the style it's written in. Argh! Zzz...

I met two seniors that day. The other I.T. leng chai korkor was my senior in Seafield. The leng lui from another department was my senior in Taylor's College. Since I was so free, they brought me out for lunch. Duck rice. Sunrise. Mmm, you know you want it, Gary and bee. Crispy skin...juicy meat...slurp~~~

So my first day like that lor. Zzz. Quite boring. Met a lot of people, shook a lot of hands and forgot a lot of names. The environment is quite nice la, everyone's helpful and friendly. No lan si lan yong people.

Today second day. Early morning assignment. So I followed another writer to cover an AGM. Will be learning the ropes from him. I'm still freaking lost though. Spent a lot of time looking up financial terms and meanings. Headache! After we finished writing the report, we hand it in to the editor to get it edited and primed for tomorrow's paper. Since we didn't have any other assignments that day, I spent most of the evening reading again. Read so much also still so lost.

Like that lor my job now. Let's see how long I survive.

***

Chew's birthday dinner at Peppercorn Cafe on 12 May.

They're back!

Why Shiow Wei's expression so kesian...

Stoner. Always kacau my camera remote.

Woon, Shaun, Hui Ling, Chew, Pravin, Mi-San, Daniel.

A bit of Daryl, Yenni & Jun Jin.

Birthday song.

Cut!

Everyone + Mi-san's hand.

Happy 23rd Birthday Tahiman!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

heh, nice pics! :D

12:28 AM 
Blogger ailyn koay said...

uhh... everyone is there T_T i miss u guys !!

12:29 PM 
Blogger Little Miss said...

haha... chew... i um...

I LOVE UR HAT!!!!!

5:27 PM 
Blogger CharSiu said...

amy: didn't take enough pics!

arriere & eve: you both MIA for too long la.....

9:13 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home