The Art of Animaling: Happy National Day

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy National Day

Malaysia, our dear country, tanah tumpah darahku.

Sometimes hor, I really fucking hate Malaysia. The tropical weather makes us sweat like babi, turning us all into sticky smelly people. I hate the stupid inefficient Metrobus, it used to make me late for classes. I hate all the stupid ah bengs that catcall in their broken English. I hate the stupid bald tiboo who asked me to be "friends" on the bus. I hate that I can't bring my dog to the playground anymore. I hate the education system that teaches us to answer question papers instead of teaching us real knowledge. Seriously, our education system is doing nothing for para anak Malaysia; because when I came to Australia to study, I had a fucking hard time trying to cope and learn things that people here already know how to do by 5th Grade. Spoonfeed our kids sumore lar, hah! I hate that everytime I take a cab, I have to be careful not to engage in chatter lest he decides to kidnap me and make me roast pig - oh wait, I'm already a char siu - whatever la. I benci how people are so stupid that they don't know how to queue up; pushing and shoving to get up the bus, squeezing into the monorail even when it's already packed like fucking sardine and some. I hate the stupid mat rempits that used to sit at their workshop behind the bus stop at SS14, they used to stare at the college girls through their BINOCULARS and my poor friend kena-ed. It's a freaking tropical country and we have to tutup aurat otherwise they cry "serves her right for dressing indecently". I hate the stupid motherfucker who raba my ass when I was drooling over FatMan Lok Lok at the pasar malam. Mahai. What kind of country are we living in?

But. Despite all her misgivings, I love living in this country. You tell me, where else in this world can we get an awesome fusion of food, inspired by the mix of cultures? Culinary delights are definitely a big plus. Where else can we find a good mamak with cheap food to lepak till the wee hours of the morning? In fact...where on this whole bulat planet can so many races live in peace and harmony (almost lar, but we're war free aight)? A friend once told me about an ang moh pastor who came to Malaysia. Lo and behold, he was AMAZED. Why? Because he thought that Malaysians still live in trees...huh, wtf right? Living amongst mixed cultures allows us to broaden our perspectives and learn different things about each other. It keeps us from being ignorant (like said ang moh pastor, tsk tsk). Ever heard about a bunch of Singaporean kids who never saw live chickens? Yea, a friend once went over for children's church ministry and when asked to draw a chicken, the kids drew chicken meat cling wrapped like how chicken is sold at the supermarket. Sad case. Where do we get the privilege to easily pick up more than one language and/or dialect? People here in Brissy find it intriguing that I can speak English. Warao, insulting? Not really. It's just them being ignorant.

I don't really understand why people have so much to complain about Malaysia. This lar that lar...you know, you're part of this country. Learn to love it. We are so free to choose how we live our lives, up to the point that we can choose our religion without mortal fear. Don't you realise how some people are chucked into jail and executed simply because of the faith they selected? Because we live amongst such a variety of customs and traditions, we are actually capable of learning and accepting others as they are. Worried about racism in Malaysia? I'll scornfully laugh at you. One racist bastard here equals to all the racist bastards in Malaysia. That's how many more there are in other countries, count your lucky stars that there aren't many at home who will point and shout and jeer at you, "GO HOME FUCKING ASIAN" or throw an egg at you just cause the shade of your skin is different from theirs.

I'm also very annoyed at how some people regard any "white people" nation as superior and place them upon a pedestal. What? Barangan buatan Malaysia not good enough? There are people who sanggup fork out extra money for imported "goods" just because they think the quality is better. Hello? You're paying extra for the tax and cost of import lar, dungu. Not everything overseas is better okay. Granted, we may lack in certain stuff, but not in everything. Vegetables are sweeter at home, we have great things like belacan and petai (petai here have to buy Yeo's canned type, so kesian) and we have GREAT BANANAS. (goood news for Gary! hehe) One comb of bananas here cost us a whole carton of bananas at home T_T and they don't even have the small and sweet type! When we decide to buy imported goods, our money flows out of the country thus making us poorer. Ok lar, not everything local is up to par, but increasingly, there are more locally produced stuff that are cheap AND good. What's the harm in giving our country a little support?

One last reason why I love Malaysia: damn a lot of holidays =D
So many festivities and so many Sultans...all their birthdays hehe! Best sial...over here holidays are so rare. Cis.

Aih. When will people learn to understand and love their country? It's sad to see people who keep wanting to leave the country when Malaysia can be so amazing. I might want to travel and experience the world, but there's no where else on this sphere that I'd rather live in.

God Bless Malaysia.

HAPPY MERDEKA EVERYONE!!!

love from a sorta patriotic pork,
~CharSiu xoxo

1 Comments:

Blogger Rileen Aya said...

syoH! the patrioticness is killing meh!

haha ~ but all n all i do love malaysia. its not big. but its big enought for us to explore it for the next 20 years to come =D

3:40 PM 

Post a Comment

<< Home